Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Sequined Clay Ring Holders

 
 
We had a nice start with Katrin's pottery on Monday, so we continue with an interesting clay project.
 
We made some mini sequined clay (not exclusively ring) holders.
To make these you need (white) modeling clay, sequins in various colors and shapes for diversity, Elmer's glue, tempera, varnish / transparent nail polish.
 
Work the clay and shape into a dish - as for the size - we aimed at a mini size. Each of these - except the orange one which is a tad bigger - fits my the palm of my hand. We also aimed at a bit of "rustic" look so they are not at all perfect in shape. 
 
 
1. Leave the clay to dry. Once dry, cover the surface with Elmer's glue and add the sequins.
 
2. With tempera paints, paint the back and make a line at the edge on the face / surface.
 
3. When the tempera dries polish them on both sides. We used transparent nail polish.
 
 
 
 
We made these as decoration for a new addition /display  we have in the dining room which, once (if I ever) I get to look the way I like, I might show it to you. Enjoy your day!
 




5 comments:

Divya N said...

Seems like an excellent small project idea - when you want to craft something without spending too much time on it. It looks bright and kitschy and I am imagining how it would look with the rest of your Dining room decor

Maya Kuzman said...

Well, my dining room is pretty Spartan when it comes to decorations. It's all white, floor,table, chairs, dresser in one corner, so color pops like these will bring some cheerfulness to the room.

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

If your dining room is all white indeed, these dabs of colour must indeed stand out. Frankly said I do prefer the orange one. It's so cheerful and must be like a beam of sunshine in between all the whiteness. Great idea - would be great little gifts too.
Have a lovely day,
Marjan

Anonymous said...

I would love to see the full display in your dining room :-) Lovely clay holders, gives me lots of inspiration!
Take care, Sigrid

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

These are super cute. I've got a couple of clay projects I've been wanting to try but just haven't done so yet. Might need to give this a try, too. I did make some salt dough hearts a few weeks ago with my little neighbor and love how they turned out. Was really easy to dry them in our hot summer sun. :)