Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Crochet Doily - free pattern

 
 
I have saved this tiny doily sampler from my gran's stash of samplers and have been holding onto it dearly, planning to make something with it so that it stays with me forever.
 
Note that that day has not yet come, but you'll be duly notified :)
 
Toying with it I decided to make it with a way thicker cotton thread, because it is almost impossible to make it with a 0.something hook - I wonder if this was spider web she used as thread to make it. I modified it a bit, but stuck to the general pattern. And I forgot to place a real object next to it to show its real size, but it is as big as a thumb. Take my word for it.
 
I made it with a 20 size of cotton thread and used a 1 mm metal hook.
 
Pattern:
 
Ch 7 and join to make a ring.
Rnd 1: Dc 15 in ring. sl st in 1st dc to join.
Rnd 2: sc 2 in each st (30)
Rnd 3: sc1, sc2 (46)
 
 
Rnd 4: hdc3tog, ch6, sk1, repeat from beginning. You will have to sk 2 at the end and sl st to end the round.
Rnd 5: sc3 on chain, ch 3 and make a picot, sc3 more in the same chain, move onto the next chain and repeat filling pattern.
 
 
 
 


I used this doily as the foundation for a brooch, but it can also serve as a pendant. Come on Friday to see it!

12 comments:

Mia said...

This is a gorgeous doily, Maya. I love it! And it is perfect for a brooch! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern. Kisses, my friend.

Anonymous said...

I've saved some doilies my late mother made before I was born. I still don't know what to do with them but I certainly don't throw them away. They are bigger than a thumb though :-)
I love the idea of the brooche, you can also use that tiny doily to decorate a special book, or make a keychain of it (then you can admire it every day).
But I'm looking forward to see your pendant!

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

I do have some 1.something hooks in the studio, but I never use them (at least not for crochet - they do come in handy sometimes for other things). All that fiddely-tiddely and getting nowhere - nope, not for me. I do have to admit these doilies look absolutely gorgeous though...

Divya N said...

The dollie looks fabulous. I have seen machine made doilies that are only a few inches big but never seen one at that size that is handmade

Alhana said...

My mum used to crochet with very tiny thread too, I don't think I can replicate it either. Your version looks perfect for a brooch and I hope you can find a project nice enough to enjoy and preserve your grandma's treasure. :-)

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

My aunt used to make the crochet lace for our pillow cases. She taught me when I was little how to do the chain stitch and I would watch her for hours just sitting in a chair making the pineapple stitch over and over. I think it is she who inspired me to learn how to crochet when I was older.
I just love how delicate the doily is and it's just so cute. Thanks for the pattern!

krishna said...

The doily is amazing..

Please visit: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com

Maya Kuzman said...

That's a nice idea Sigrid! Making them bokmarks will aave them and make them useful.

Maya Kuzman said...

I guess this was supposed to be a part of a bigger project but was left as a sampler.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Alhana. I am kind of torn between saving it intact and using it to make something. I fear I might lose it or displace it otherwise.

Maya Kuzman said...

We share the same memories Julie, only in my case it was my grandma.

Kate said...

This lovely doily is such a lovely keepsake from your Gran and how clever of you to to make a pattern for it. Sadly, I can no longer crochet with thread and a small hook but I enjoy seeing these lovely smalls made by others. :)